Yesterday, the Virgin Mary Festival was held in Durunka Assiut in the monastery of St. Mary dating all the way back to the first century. It is said that this was the last destination of the holy family on their visit to Egypt. The images taken by photographer Roger Anis are a beautiful composition of colors and an embodiment of the true human spirit in a visual story of the festival itself. Just take a look at all these telling images of all kinds of people.
1. The procession of children and the people below
2. The procession from overhead
3. The colorful girl, with her equally colorful fan.
4. The people crowding to take photos on their phone
5.Children seated watching the festival
6. The procession and the people
7. Crowding to view the procession as it passes
8. The nuns watching from their window
9. This man carrying a bright blue gas tank
10. People waving to the procession as it passes.
11. A woman and child in the crowd.
12. Ceremonial lighting of candles.
13. A woman with a child dressed in white.
14. A symbol of peace
15. People viewing this procession
17.The procession in one direction and the people in the other.
17. People watching the proceedings atop the monastery
To see more of Roger Anis’ photos check out his website here